A Wrinkle In Time is a wonder, but not for adults

Image result for a wrinkle in time 

By Katia

I’ve been waiting to see A Wrinkle In Time for quite some time now. A lot of my local theater showings have been sold out and between work, school and the absolutely ridiculous amount of snow hitting the East Coast in MARCH, getting out to a theater has been hard. I finally got to see the film last night. I have not read the novel, but I really love the direction of Ava DuVernay,  so I went in with slight excitement.

I say slight because the criticism towards this film is brutal. A Wrinkle In Time just keeps getting slammed by critics. This reaction was totally unexpected to me. DuVernay has proved herself as a director time and time again. In the beggining I suspected that it was just that initial wave of bad reviews, and that mixed reviews would trickle in and would get an OK score from critics. I miscalculated completely. I have yet to see a positive review of A Wrinkle In Time. This baffled me. 

I say with confidence that it really isn’t as terrible as the critics are making it out to be. It is unwatchable? Not at all. Is it riddled with flaws? Absolutely. A Wrinkle In Time knows its destinination, but not how it’s going to get there. With plot holes, poor acting, but a good message, A Wrinkle In Time is somewhat painless. What I’ve observed most from critics when reviewing this film is the CGI. CGI landscapes are unfortunately the downfall of believability in these fantasy type films, yet what are we supposed to believe in fantasy films, it’s fantasy for a reason. As a 100% practical effects fan, the CGI is really not at all what pisses me off. I find more of the distaste in the plot. But that’s not what I wish to focus on.

A Wrinkle in Time at is concept is a film that defines this generation. A young girl saving the world with the help of Oprah sounds pretty of the now if you ask me. This is evidently the most diverse film to come out in a while. The representation displayed in this film was a large part of my excitement. I held so much happiness that young girls of color, could see themselves on screen. I think this is where a lot of critics are getting A Wrinkle In Time wrong. THIS. IS. A. CHILDREN’S. MOVIE.

How can you possibly sit in the theater for this film as an adult, see a trailer for Show Dogs and think “Yes, the film I am about to watch can be understood and experienced by me in the way it’s supposed to”. This is a film targeted and for children. Period. How can an adult see Reese Witherspoon’s lettuce wings and think that this film is for them! It’s not! A Wrinkle in Time has flaws, but the one aspect it nails is wonder. A Wrinkle in Time is wonderous and heartfelt, and that’s something all audiences can see. I’m sure children experience this wonder further than any adult will. It’s something young children can relate to. 

This adventure so weak against adult audiences, especially audiences of today. That’s something to majorly consider when critiquing this film. Children are growing up in a time where the world really sucks. They’re growing up in a world where a lot of adults don’t believe in any form of hope. As many adults don’t believe in hope, some believe in revolution. A Wrinkle In Time does not highlight revolution, simply because children can’t comprehend that yet. In the time that we live in, children need to believe in hope and good before they believe in revolution. A Wrinkle In Time does that perfectly.

If I can go somewhere to watch a movie in a dark confined space and forget about Trump for the duration of said movie, that’s a positive viewing experience for me. No matter the quality of the film. Children aren’t on Letterboxd, they arent Rotten Tomatoes certified critics, they’re kids. They are the most innocent filmgoers, and they are A Wrinkle In Time’s target audience. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Highest Grossing Female Films in 2017: a Year in Review for Women in Film and the Work Still to be Done

Black Swan: The Price of Perfection